Charge Policy

Meal Charge Policy

Effective Date:
June 6, 2019

As provided in SP 46-2016, all school food authorities (SFAs) operating the federal school meal programs (National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Program) must have a written and clearly communicated meal charge administrative procedure in place no later than July 1, 2017. All SFAs must have an administrative procedure in place for children participating at the reduced price or paid meal rate who either do not have money in their account or in hand to cover the cost of the meal at the time of service. SFAs are required to communicate that administrative procedure to families and school and/or district-level staff members as appropriate. SFAs should ensure the administrative procedure is communicated on an annual basis.

Families will have access to the Meal Charge Policy via Weakley County School website and student handbook. Families of transfer students (during the year) will receive a written copy of the district-wide charge administrative procedure with their student handbook.

Students will be permitted to bring their lunches from home and to purchase allowable beverages and a la carte items at school.


One breakfast is served to all students in grades PK-12 at no cost to the student. Teachers who participate in Breakfast in the Classroom are also allowed to receive one breakfast at no cost. No cost breakfasts are limited to one adult per class. Additional items can be purchased by students and adults at a la carte pricing.

Students in grades PK-12 may charge two lunches before students are served a reimbursable, alternate meal. Staff or faculty may also charge two meals. This service is designed to cover emergency situations only. It is not designed to provide a credit service for continuous charging and collecting for adult and student meals. Alternate lunches will be served to all students until the negative balance is paid. Students will continue to be charged for alternate lunches they receive at the standard lunch cost.

The reimbursable, alternate meal will include milk, fruit, vegetables, and an alternate entrée (grain and meat/meat alternate).

Household Notification
Negative balance notification: Parents may check account balances and request low balance notifications at

Delinquent Debt
Delinquent debt is defined as overdue unpaid meal charges that are considered collectable, with efforts being made to collect them. The debt may remain on the accounting documents until it is either collected or determined to be uncollectable. The debt may be carried over at the end of the school year (beyond June 30).

The household’s debt will be delinquent for 7 days before the SFA requests payment. Weakley County Schools may withhold all grade cards, diplomas, certificates of progress or transcripts of a student until such student makes restitution in full.

Repayment plans
Each household may request a repayment plan that will include payment levels and due dates appropriate to a household’s particular circumstances. Please contact Trista Snider, or 731-364-3347 for establishing a repayment plan.

Bad Debt
Bad debt is determined to be uncollectable, with that further collection efforts for delinquent debt deemed useless or too costly. Delinquent debt will be considered as bad debt after 180 days.

• Bad debts (debts which have been determined to be uncollectable), including losses (whether actual or estimated) arising from uncollectable accounts and other claims, are unallowable. Related collection costs, and related legal costs, arising from such debts after they have been determined to be uncollectable are also unallowable (section 25 200.426 of subpart E).
• Bad debt must be written off as an operating loss after 180 days the nonprofit school food service account (NSFSA) resources may not be used to cover the costs related to the bad debt. The funds will be obtained to restore the unallowable bad debt to the NSFSA from the school district’s general fund. Once delinquent meal charges are converted to bad debt, records relating to those charges must be maintained in accordance with record retention requirements in 7 CFR 210.9(b) (17) and 7 CFR 210.15(b).

Additional Resources
Families may find assistance with applying for free or reduced price school meals by contacting Trista Snider, or 731-364-3347.

Notice Regarding Funds Remaining in Withdrawn and Graduating Student Accounts Families should request a refund for any funds left in a withdrawn or graduated student’s lunch account within 30 days of their last day of attendance. Refund request should be emailed to or mailed to:

Weakley County Board of Education
Attention: School Nutrition Department
8319 Highway 22, Suite A
Dresden, Tennessee 38225

Along with the refund request please include your child’s name, the school attended, your name, your phone number, and a current address for a check to be mailed to. Parents can also request for a student’s remaining funds to be transferred into another student’s account, such as a sibling. If the withdrawn or graduated student’s account has a balance in excess of $20.00, the School Nutrition Department will attempt to notify a parent or guardian regarding the remaining balance. Any undesignated funds left in the withdrawn or graduated student’s account after the 30 day window will be retained by the WCS School Nutrition Department and at its discretion be used 14 to offset unpaid meal charges accrued by other students.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
1) mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.